Name: Battle of Bannockburn
Location: Stirling Road, Bannockburn
NGR: NS 795 906
Classification: Battle site
Architect: F. R. (Eric) Stevenson, Sir Robert Matthew, Eric Robson
Landscape Architect: H. F (Frank) Clark
Status: Rotunda, Memorial Cairn, Flagpole Category A-listed
Canmore ID: 268077
Description: Formalised architectural and landscape re-definition of the battle-site of Bannockburn 1314 made for the 650th anniversary in 1964. The form of the Rotunda was doubtless intended to echo Neolithic henge monuments and almost certainly draws inspiration from Gunnar Asplund’s Woodland Cemetery in Stockholm (1930-50’s).
New Heritage/Visitor Centre built by Reiach and Hall architects with landscaping by Ian White Associates in 2014.